In carrying out its mandate, the committee is required to:
- Collect views by all practicable means for the general public in and outside Sierra Leone
- Undertake wide consultations with the public and the relevant social, political and economic groups on its terms of reference.
- Recommend provisions which will promote an open, transparent and democratic society.
- Examine constitutions of other countries.
- Examine and recommend any subject-matter of a constitutional nature which is relevant in strengthening multi-party democracy.
- Examine and recommend on any matter which is connected with or incidental to its terms of reference.